Monday, July 26, 2010

Being Unemployed Is Kinda Fun


Last night.

Girl texts : Esok I nak bangun awal la, nak g swimming. Kejutkan I kul 9, okay?

Boy texts : Okay..tapi I taw dah ape u akan cakap esok.

Girl texts : U ni..betul laa..I nak bangun awal la..kul 9..k?

This morning.

Finally dragged myself out of bed at 11 a.m., after hitting the snooze button every ten minutes since 9 a.m. There was a text from him at 10 a.m.

Syg..I kejutkan u dh lewat sejam ni..tak nak bangun lagi ke?

11 a.m. is actually early for me. I sleep till noon most days and I'm not ashamed to admit it cause I see no point in pretending to be the demure, homely girl every man wants to marry when I'm not like that at all.

Besides, I'll be working soon and won't be able to afford the luxury of waking up at noon, unless I'm on the night shift. I don't know where mothers get the energy to wake up at the crack of dawn and clean and cook and wash, but I guess the will of it all will come to me the day I get married. Or, the day I hold my own child in my arms. Or the baby will probably wake me up waayyyy before noon anyway.

Well, at least that's what I'm thinking.

So, my morning mission was swimming. Packed all my swimming stuff and toiletries. I've been waiting all week for my period to be over so I can jump into that pool and swim away the 100kgs I've put on since forever and today...finally.

When I got to the club, it was deserted as usual, save for a few workers who lounged on the upper floor and I silently hoped they would leave soon and not ogle me in my bathing suit. I saw them the moment I stepped out of the car so I decided to leave my sunnies on so I wouldn't have to look at them.

As I approached the pool, I saw part of a sign in red that said ON MONDAYS. The rest of the sign was blocked by the stairwell. My heart skipped and I thought, Damn it, don't let the rest of the sign say CLOSED.


CLOSED FOR MAINTENANCE ON MONDAYS

Stupid. Stupid stupid stupid.

The pool looked crystal clear and sky blue anyway, I just don't understand why they have to close it for the whole damn day when it's so clean, it'd probably take 2 hours to clean.

I contemplated heading over to the Danau golf club at UKM but decided against it because the last time I went there, the pool was green and half the tiles were cracked and covered with moss. Besides, the pool over there is Olympic-sized but completely deserted and that scared me. The thought of showering alone in a huge locker room where most of the lights weren't working made me think of I know what you did last summer.

I don't fancy being murdered naked in the shower so I went home.

Just as well anyway, cause it turned out my sister wanted to use the car for an outing with friends since it's her birthday today. I felt it was awkward to wish her happy birthday up front (we're not that close) so I made up my mind to wish her during her birthday dinner tonight.

Her birthday present has been sitting on my mum's study for 2 days now and last night, I asked my mum if I could see it. I already know it's a Thomas Sabo necklace but I wanted to see which charm my mum got for her. Turns out, my sister found the present on the study before I did and opened it and resealed it cause my mum said the package was open and she thought I had seen it and I said I wouldn't open it without her permission because it's not even mine.

I love surprises and I strictly believe birthdays are fun because of the surprises you get on the day. When I was younger, we were living in a different house in Kajang, and my mum would hide my present somewhere in the house and when the time came, she'd tell me to go look for it and I would get so excited hunting for it everywhere.

I was a pretty good actress, rummaging my cupboard, looking under the bed, going through the stuff in the kitchen. Because I know exactly where she's hidden it. In the cabinet drawer of the bookshelf in the living room. How did I know that?

Because she hides it there every year.

This year, she's already told me what she's getting me. A Thomas Sabo bracelet. I got one for Ezzura's birthday and I was so excited for weeks before getting it, bugging my mum to pick the charms in the catalog, asking her if there was any chore she needed me to do so I can earn enough money to buy it. When I finally did get it, I was barely out of the car before I unwrapped it and showed it to my mum.

She took my enthusiasm to mean that I wanted one too. Well, I did actually, so thanks mama. It's not a surprise anymore but I don't know which charm she picked out for me so there will still be an element of surprise. I told her not to leave my present lying around (like she did with my sister's) because I want it to be a surprise.

My birthday is in 2 and a half weeks and already I can't wait. Yes, I am childish that way.

Stuff to do for today:

1. Hang out my mum's freshly laundered bedspreads.

2. Iron my parents' working clothes. There's a whole stack of 'em in the back room. I'll iron half today and maybe half tomorrow.

3. Watch Coraline and Desperate Housewives I've pre-recorded. In HD! Well, only Coraline is in HD but I haven't missed an episode of Desperate Housewives in almost a month and I just can't wait for the 2-hour premiere of season 6 on the 1st of August.

4. Eat lunch somewhere. I might just take my laptop and Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone and spend the rest of the day in a coffeehouse somewhere. That depends on whether or not my dad will hand me some cash. I busted out RM100 on the weekend, the book included in my splurge.

5. Help out with dinner. We're having a family barbecue tonight, using the electric grill my mum got free with her Treats points. Not sure how much help I can be in a barbecue so I'll probably just stick to making lemonade.

I only had bread this morning and already I'm hungry! I'd better do some ironing now if I'm gonna ask my dad for money to have lunch later. He just asked me why I'm using his laptop instead of mine and that I should get my laptop re-formatted.

He'd go berserk if he knew I've been looking at MAC and Sony Vaio laptops.

No comments: