Monday, January 4, 2010

My First Day of School

Today's newspapers were filled with pictures of kids on their first day of school. 7-year-olds laughing and playing with their new friends and even some crying for their parents. I'm not a big "kid person" but I have to say, the older I get, the more appealing kids seem to me.

I remember my first day of school. It was the year 1995. Sekolah Rendah Kebangsaan Convent Kajang. I remember the week before school started, my parents were saying I had to eat faster at dinnertime because recess is only for 20 minutes at school. Yeah, I've always been a slow eater. At the very least, I take up to 30 minutes to finish a burger or a plate of rice. Even fries could keep me busy up to 40 minutes, if I'm hasty about it.

So anyway, I woke up real early on the first day, so very excited for school. I dressed myself, ate my breakfast and waited outside with my dad for the bus. Yes, I took the bus to school on my first day. I guess my parents didn't want me to get clingy and they're successful in that. I remain independent up to this day. So the arrangement was that I take the bus to school where my dad would meet me and lead me to class. So, not all that independent la. Hehe.

The bus itself wasn't the huge air-cond buses kids have these days. I didn't get that until I was in upper primary, I think. My first time riding a bus by myself. My brother and sister took the bus to pre-school but not me. I don't know why. But it was an exciting experience, that first time on a bus all on my own. The windows were open, the wind was blowing my hair, and the sound of the engine was so loud, I remember thinking I might go deaf. I don't think I spoke to anyone on the bus. I've always been a shy kid. At least, I think so. Hehe.

I reached school and I remember seeing that huge banner that said "Selamat Datang Murid-Murid Tahun Satu" or something like that. I spotted my dad waiting at the gates for me, jumped down the bus steps and ran over to him. He asked me how the bus ride was and I said "Bising sangat." He laughed. Then he walked me to class. 1 Ros. I don't remember if that was the top class but it definitely wasn't the bottom. I think the bottom class was Orkid ke ape? Haha. Tak ingat dah.

My dad met the teacher, led me to my desk and told me to take care. He told me where to wait for the bus that afternoon and the number plate of the bus and gave me RM1 pocket money. And that was it, he left me in a class full of excited and many crying kids.

During assembly, I remember talking to a girl called Haifa Amanina. We were told to line up in twos so we lined together. I think on the way walking to class, she asked me what my favorite food was and I said nasi goreng. Whatever. Hahaha.

The rest of the day was a bit of a blur. I remember sitting in class and not listening to the teacher, instead my attention was on the parents lined up outside of the class, intently watching their kid in mine. I remember feeling a sudden pang of homesickness and then a sense of pride that I don't need my parents watching over me. I can handle school all by myself. I'm a big girl now. I'm 7 okay.

I've always been very impatient to grow up and at whatever age I'm at, I always feel that I'm this really old, wise girl. Too perasan for my own good la. Haha. Only now, at 21 going on 22, do I feel really old. I mean, I'm looking at teenager's birth date and notice that they were born in the 90's, for crying out loud. I remember the 90's so well!

I may not remember everything that went on on the first day of school. But I do remember hating Ezzura like mad when I was in standard 1. Yes, the very same Ezzura who is my best friend now and at the top of my list of being my pengapit if I ever get married.

We sat next to each other and I remember we hated each other so much, we would arrange our books next to each other. Even propped it up to form a "barrier". I don't know why I hated her so much. But I remember her being very kedekut. Hahaha. There was this one time when I was just sooooooooo thirsty. I didn't have a bottle of water with me, despite the fact that my mum would pack it for me every morning. I would usually unpack it and leave at the gate when the bus comes. I hate bringing bottled water in my bag, up to this day. So I was thirsty and there was a bottle of water on the table right next to me. You guessed it, it was Ezzura's. And it was one of those nice ones where the straw pops out of the lid. Being the kid I was, I asked her for a sip, even though I hated her.

Me: Nak air kau sikit boleh tak?
Ezzura: Tak boleh. Nanti kena mulut awak, kita dah tak boleh minum.
Me: Kenapa pulak. Aku nak sikit je. Boleh la?
Ezzura: Tak boleh! (Grabs the bottle and held it close to her chest).

Ape lagi. I burst into tears. The teacher came running. Cikgu Azlina. Before the class started, she had already asked us all to write our names on a cardboard and put it on our table. I like the idea of my name being displayed, unlike the other teachers who would only ask our names when talking to us. So I liked this Cikgu Azlina. Thinking back, I don't think she was any older than 23 or so. So she came running and asked me what was the matter.

Me: Saya nak air dia sikit tapi dia tak bagi.
Ezzura pouts. Bibir juih panjang gila. Still holding the bottle close to her.
Cikgu Azlina: Ezzura bagi la Azwa minum sikit eh? Sikit je, boleh?
Ezzura: Okay la. Tapi jangan kena mulut!

So with a smile, I took her bottle and held it up and tipped some water out. The whole time Ezzura was screaming, "Ha, jangan kena!!". Hahaha. But I got my drink and was happy.

You may have noticed how I would use the word "aku" and "kau", even though I was only 7 at the time. Of course, I didn't know that kids aren't suppose to use that sort of language. But at one time during music class, I was talking to Ezzura and she said to me, "Awak, tak baik tau cakap aku-kau. Nanti kita bagitahu cikgu." I was thinking eh tak heran langsung la but instead replied, "Kau pergi la bagitahu cikgu kalau macam tu. Ingat aku takut?". And then she went right up to the teacher, who was surrounded by kids asking him to teach them to play some musical instrument, and told him of my "rudeness". And of course, cikgu tu tak heran langsung la. Lagi-lagi cikgu tu lelaki. Hahaha.

And in the end, we became the best of friends. And I got her to use "aku-kau". And she taught me the word "fuck". Lagi ganas. Hahaha! I don't know how we got to be best friends, I guess it just sort of happened. Kids don't hold grudges, that's the beauty of their innocence.

The rest of my primary school memories were filled with Ezzura. We played together, just the 2 of us. We even kept a diary together which we passed between us every week or so. Someday I think I would like to post how she wrote about her trip to Langkawi. It was 2 pages long! And it was a big A4 diary okay! Hahaha. And yeah, I still have that diary with all that childish handwriting and ugly drawings.

I remember how we used to lie under a tree at the very end of the school field and just talk for hours. It was with her that I learned to walk and talk real fast. I guess we talked fast because we had so much to tell each other and walked fast because we wanted to keep everyone else out.

I think Primary 1, 2, and 3 were one of the best times of my life. We were in separate classes during upper primary and I had just skipped a grade and joined the seniors in Primary 5. It was lonely and some of the girls insisted I call them "kakak". Sheesh. But that's another story.


Kids with bottles of water. This so reminds me of that bottled water incident.



Poor kid. Thank God this didn't happen to me on my first day. Hehe.



Whoa, romantic nye! Haha. I went to an all girls school so none of this for me. But I did have a crush on this boy in pre-school and on our last day, the teacher asked us which school would we be enrolling in. I said Convent Kajang. When his turn came, he smiled and said Convent Kajang too. The teacher laughed and said it was a girls school, which in turn made the whole class laugh. He sat down, red-faced, and quietly said he didn't know which school he would be attending the coming year. His name was Anas and that was my last memory of him.


I can't remember when this picture was taken but it must've been between Primary 1 or 2 because me and Ezzura were both prefects in Primary 3. Bangga gila jadi pengawas. Lepas tu langsung tak bertugas. ;) This is the earliest picture, I think, of me with Ezzura.

And finally..

Class 3 Ros, year 1997. I remember the year so well because it was a good year. Look at the smiles on me and Ezzura's faces?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i miss those days too!!!!! tapi sekarang i rasa kan, kids these days dah di pampered too much kan. dapat segala macam. upsr 5A, dapat HP, dapat PS2. i dulu UPSR 5A dapat makan KFC. hahaha.

Khairatul Azwa said...

taw xpe..i lompat pts tu pon x dpt hape..hahaha! ish kalo la ley turn back time..sungguh carefree mse tu kan..

Unknown said...

ha!!!! betolll!!!!! sama laaa.... masa i lompat pts dulu pun macam takdela dihargai sangat! tp giler teruk kene paksa belajar ngan ibu. hahaha. patut boley claim kan kan. haha