Saturday, January 2, 2010

What A Girl Wants

When I was a teenager I used to brood on my dream guy. Made a list of all his qualities. Okay, I might even have gone overboard and invented a name for him. No, I am not going to tell you what it is.

I try to be mature and leave unrealistic dreams in the past because hey, experience has taught me that the perfect guy doesn't exist. But yet.

I just want him to be the perfect one for me. Yes, I am that selfish. I know I have shortcomings too but I think I will only work on that when he has stopped giving me heartaches and disappointments. Yes, guys who have tried to court me in the past but failed, you can now thank your lucky stars you did not get me to be your girlfriend. I can be a spoiled brat (most times).

So what is that perfect list? I've adjusted it as I grew older. Made some imperfections on his perfections so that it would seem more realistic and so, increase the likelihood of me actually finding this guy. Hold on, let me get my dusty diary from a previous life.

1. The one that never escapes a girl's list: Gorgeous.

- Of course, looks isn't my number 1 priority but it so happens that I wrote it down first. And I don't expect him to be drop dead gorgeous because I'd never date a guy who's prettier than me. I want to be in the spotlight, thank you. But I also wouldn't want a guy who could chase away a bunch of squirrels with a smile that shows broken black teeth and a face full of warts.

I like tall guys. With black hair that's messy in a tidy way. Black hair, okay. I can dye my hair purple but I want my guy to stay with his natural hair. Dyed hair just doesn't look good on guys. At least, that's my opinion. And I'd like him to be medium toned. Not too fair, cause like Ezzura says, that just screams "Anak mak". Sorry to fair guys reading this. I would date you (provided if I was single), but then you'd never be able to compete with the guy this list is about.

And of course, the number one definition of gorgeous to me: the eyes. I love guys with a certain quality to the eyes. I can't describe how "gorgeous eyes" look like, but it has to have a way of making my breath draw from my body and have me up in the air for a while. I've only seen eyes like that twice. One of them is from the guy I am currently with. It might come as a surprise for most people because he wears glasses and therefore it would hide his eyes but I've seen him without them a few times and I've got to say... wow.

He will be blushing when he reads this.

One last one. Of course I'd like my guy to be masculine. And to me, macho is all in the arms. I love a guy who's arms have veins popping out of them, it reminds me of the roots of a strong, old tree. So comforting and screaming, "I will protect you". Yes, after all my qualms and feminism at times, I am still an old-fashioned girl.
Panjang gile cakap pasal gorgeous. But I assure you, it is not all that important to me. I have dated guys whom you would describe as muka pecah. You know who you are.

2. Intelligent

- Really, this should have been number one. What in the world is my teen self thinking of when she thought of gorgeous first? So anyway, I like guys who are well-informed. Which is why I love it when my boyfriend says he's reading the newspaper. It would be even better if he told me he was reading a good book. Brains is just so sexy when it's worn with good looks, don't you think?

Also, I like a guy who has a quick mind and a smart mouth. Believe me, you're going to need that to logger heads with me. I am an argumentative sport. I like intellectual conversations where we'd discuss something I disagree on and bonus points to you if in the end, you get me to change my mind to be on your side of the argument. That is one tough feat.

A smart mouth doesn't mean rudeness. In fact, that is why he's got to be intelligent. It's all about tact, people. Know your audience and how to win your battles with grace and pride intact.

At the very end of this number of the list, I added the word "educated". Yup, I did not realize the importance of education in a life partner until I was in my late teens. I want a guy who is at least at par with me when it comes to education. Or even better, ahead of me. Mind you, I intend to pursue a pHD so he'd better have brains.

3. Financially secured.

- And I don't mean rich. Just enough to lead the same lifestyle I do. Bonus points if he takes me out to fancy Italian restaurants. I absolutely adore Italian.

When I talk about a guy's finances, I am not thinking of swiping his credit card and going on a shopping spree. In all my relationships, I have been used to paying at least half, if not all. I don't really mind as long as he's bashful about it but I think it would be a good change if we went Dutch and split the cost of dates. I would feel way too guilty if I had my boyfriend pay everything for me. I know most girls have this luxury but I intend to spend my own money and be financially independent.

However, I will not object to the occasional showering of expensive presents. On occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries. In my opinion, that is the only reason a guy I'm with needs to be financially secured.

4. Funny.

- As in every girl's list. Who likes a boring old fart, eh? I like a good laugh and really, when you laugh, it takes all that self-consciousness away from being in the presence of a totally hot guy (see no 1).

5. Loyal.

- Duuhhh. But I am a jealous freak. I do not believe that a guy and a girl can be "just friends" unless it is out of necessity. For example, it's okay to be friends with your workmate or classmate, anyone you have in common with in terms of life commitments. Because you need these friends and it's also okay to still be friends with them after graduation or you've changed workplaces or something. But "just friends" means no constant texting or phone calls to "just say hi" or "just wanted to see how you are doing". It's okay if it's like... once a year. Not every week. And sure as heck not everyday.

Which is why I do not believe in all this "adik/abang/kakak/bapok angkat" nonsense.
I hate those people.

6. Has a slight flaw.

- This is the one I added after some experience of cold reality. But there's a catch. Some people may see it as a flaw but I see it as a bonus. Haha. I like a guy who lives on the edge. Perhaps he races superbikes (but not in a rempit way!) or goes bungee jumping or sky diving or drifts cars. Because I sure as hell want to go with him!

This post has been sitting in my dashboard for like, forever! Doing some cleaning up since I'm so bored so I decided to go through all my posts :)

PS/ This post has absolutely nothing to do with anyone dead or alive, okay? So sila jangan perasan.

1 comment:

AqeW MeWSicK said...

klakor gk
hahahahhahha