Monday, May 10, 2010

Food That Khairatul Azwa Has Claimed To Be Inedible


1. Watermelon. It has a weird smell and texture that I can't stand. I've tried it once or twice because apparently everyone in my social circle loves this fruit but no, I can't stomach it.

2. Mee and laksa. These two tastes like plastic to me. I've only had both of them once, laksa was during Yana's birthday party back in 2005 and that was only because her mom made it and I didn't want to offend anyone. The first and last time I ate mee was at Asrul's house about a year back and that was also because his mom cooked it and I was mortified when he told his mom I don't eat mee. I elbowed him to signal "shut up" and ate most of it before pushing the rest towards him when his mom was gone.

3. Lamb. Ha, this one is what I call my pantang. Seriously, I can smell lamb from 10 feet away and I can't stand it.

4. Snails. You all know this one. The stuff that you need to suck out of it's shell? I've never tried it but I think it's gross. But I love oysters, though.

5. Any kind of animal internal organs. Liver, lungs, you name it, I won't eat it. This includes external genitalia. Who in the world came up with sup torpedo?

6. Any kind of ulam. For the simple reason that it's not cooked. But I have recently learned to eat kerabu, my favorite's kerabu pucuk paku but there is still no room in my heart or stomach for ulam.

7. Brinjal, stuffed chili, pumpkin, pajeri nenas. Why? Because I've never eaten it and never will.

8. Coconut. The drink and the fruit itself. I've only drank it once and that was to save my life when I was about 11 and had an allergic reaction to some sort of medication.

9. Red beans. My mom loves this one. But I can't stand the texture. Asrul hates it too but once, when we were barely a year into the relationship, we were having ABC and I gathered 5 red beans in the spoon and dared him to eat it if he loved me and he ate it all in one go.

10. Spicy food. This one really depends on the level of kesedapan. My sense of smell is really making my food choices here so the tastier it smells, the better chances of me actually taking a bite. Believe it or not, the first time I had curry was when I was 15 (also the time when I first had anything masak lemak) and I only learnt to eat sambal during my first year in UKM. I can now take a tiny bit of spicy stuff but please be prepared to serve me gallons of water.

11. Tomatoes. This one's a tricky one. I love tomato sauce but not the actual fruit itself. Wait, is it a fruit or a vege? Hurm, vege I guess? BUT. I do love the canned version of this fruit/vege. I just don't like the slimy taste from the seeds of the actual raw tomato.

12. Chili sauce. This is something that Asrul's been trying to get me to eat for the past 3 years. Once he was feeding me something and dipped it in a bit of chili sauce when I wasn't looking and earned himself a good hard pinch. When I was younger, I avoided chili sauce because I thought it was spicy. But one fine day, I found out that it wasn't spicy at all and it just weirded me out. Feels wrong that it's sweet and sticky. I also avoid those chili dips that come with keropok lekor, if I can avoid it. Which is another reason why I am not a huge fan of keropok lekor.

13. Air tebu. This also smells weird to me. I don't care how sweet people say it is.

I think that's all I can think of right now, though I'm pretty sure there's a whole lot more. Well, I'll update it if I ever think of anything else to add.

If you think my food habits are weird and picky, think again. Once I was listening to FlyFM and they were taking calls on weird food habits and there were people calling in saying they don't eat raw bananas (because it's not cooked) but loves banana cake and goreng pisang. The DJ also mentioned that he doesn't eat squid but loves calamari but only the center parts where there are no tentacles.

So what's your unique (a.k.a weird) food habit?

It would seem that, for a girl who sure has a long list of inedible food, I'd be real skinny but noooooo...

PS/ No offense is intended to people who love the food I have termed to be inedible. I respect people who eat what I can't, amazed by it even.

Oh wait, I've just thought of another one.

14. Yam ice-cream. Why? It smells weird. My nose makes my eating decisions.

4 comments:

miSz tUna said...

i eat almost anything.. hehehehe.. food is the real 'nikmat' as my dad said.. enjoy it while we can :)

but

i'd prefer not to eat ikan air tawar..

and by the way, tomatoes are fruits, they just lied about them being vege back in the US, a looooong time ago to avoid having to pay for expensive taxes.. poor thing.. kecelaruan identiti..

Khairatul Azwa said...

yup, i also don't eat ikan tawar but i have learnt to eat catfish, though. but not talapia or other fish. ala ksian nye tomato kne masquerade as a vege..hehehe

Anonymous said...

Really love all the posts you offer! I am so looking forward to seeing more like them..

Khairatul Azwa said...

thanks for your support :)