Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sabah Is My Calling


When I was done with my SPM, the number one on my matriculation application was Sabah. And then when I was done with matriculation in Kedah, my number one choice to do nursing was again in Sabah. Now that I am almost done with my Bachelor of Nursing in UKM, guess where my heart's set out to go?

Sabah.

I really don't know why. I just really, really want to go there. Okay, if I was honest, there are a few reasons, I'm just afraid to say them because I just know someone somewhere is gonna pour water all over my fiery anticipation.

But it's my blog, so I'll say it anyway.

Reason number 1 is that it's a beach haven over there. Beaches near the city, near housing areas. Islands surrounding the whole place. I love it that way. It sounds so peaceful to me and even here in KL, whenever I'm stressed out, I wish so much that I can run someplace peaceful but the nearest beach is Port Dickson and that's like 80km away?

Reason number 2 is I want to enjoy the nature there. Diving, snorkeling, mountain climbing, you name it, I'm gonna try it.

Reason number 3 is I think people are friendlier over there. There's a whole new mix of ethnicity and religion, I think it's way more peaceful that people of KL, no offense. And call me crazy but I love that Sabahan accent. I want one too.

Reason number 4 is that I think it will be better if I worked someplace far from my family. It's not that I don't love them but let's just say that absence makes the heart grow fonder. No worries, I'll be sure to bank in some cash each month and call Mama every week.

Reason number 5 is aaahhh... CASH. As a Malaysian from the peninsular, I'm entitled to extra allowance. Can anyone hear *KACHING*

Reason number 6 is I want a different nursing experience. Yes, Sabah might be under-equipped and old-fashioned but think of this : there might be opportunities to be a flying nurse (that's where you get to send patients by helicopter to the peninsular), rural nursing (visits to the really rural parts, taking boats and visiting longhouses). Really, when you think of all that's to be gained from a nursing experience in Sabah, the cons to working someplace far and undeveloped seems nothing. And the best nurse Malaysia has ever known, Bibi Florina? Where is she from again? Sabah.

Reason number 7 is the biggest. I'm 22 this year, or will be. I plan to be married by 27. That's 5 years of freedom left. I don't see marriage as a ball and chain but yes, my freedom will be limited after I marry. When you're married, you can't just take off on a whim without putting a whole lot of thought on how your actions will impact others (the husband, the kids, my parents, the in-laws, and not necessarily in that order). So I want to live my life to the fullest before I get married and commit my whole life to others. That's a whole lot of responsibility and I don't want any regrets. I don't want to be 50 and looking back at the time when I was in my 20s and thinking "Oh what if...?" I don't want to be that old lady. I want to be looking back and saying "Wow, that was awesome".

The question that has been plaguing me lately is the same question my dad asked me once he met my boyfriend and listened to me going on and on about working in Sabah. His question was, "What about Asrul?". You see, just because I am pursuing my dream doesn't mean that I don't love him. It simply means that I know we are separate individuals and we have lives of our own outside of us. I will miss him and there will be times when I wish I could sprout wings and fly to him but mostly, I think I'm gonna love it there. And even if I don't, at least I'll know what it feels like to have made that decision and not bombard myself with "What if" questions when I'm older. And it's not like we're living in the 70s. There's Skype, video calling, Facebook, and probably a whole lot more technology to connect people far and near that I don't even know about.

Besides, what's the best excuse for a transfer back to the peninsular after a few years? Marriage. Sabah guys might be cute but I think I'll stick to my Asrul. I'm pretty sure he's The One.

I've just completed my SPA form and I've looked up Queen Elizabeth Hospital on Google. That is how psyched I am right now. Thesis pun belum siap lagi tapi sudah mimpi jauh kan? Hehehe.

We had a talk from a matron once and she said anyone applying to nurse in Sabah is guaranteed to get it. I really hope so. Oh and when the interview comes and I'm asked the inevitable question of why do I want to work in Sabah? My answer will be "I want to help the needy". Oh wait, that's Reason no 8.

4 comments:

miSz tUna said...

hehe all the best, then later if i got there i can visit u :)

Khairatul Azwa said...

hehe thx =)

Deylla Adila said...

Love diz post... :)

Khairatul Azwa said...

sume org sabah pon suke..haha ;) hopefully dpt la keje sabah nnt..kalo xdpt sure kcewa gle :(