Sunday, May 30, 2010

Boogey-lizard

Something really scary happened to me last night. I don't think I will ever sleep in my room again. Heck, I don't think I will sleep in peace for a long time.

For those of you who don't already know, I have a huge fear of lizards. These stupid cicaks, it's not just that they're insanely gross, they're impossible to get rid of and, call me crazy, but it's like they know you're afraid of them, almost like they could smell my fear and are trying to get me every opportunity they get. They stare at you with their beady eyes, they aren't afraid of you and I've seen how they stare at me in the shower.

I frigging hate lizards.

My house is in Bayu Lakehomes, just off Beranang and at the border of Mantin, Negeri Sembilan. There aren't many residents here and most of the bungalow lots are sold but remain empty. I hardly know any of my neighbors and my house is surrounded with shrubbery.

There's plenty of wildlife here, especially birds of all kinds, and my mom's garden is a favorite spot for nests. Unfortunately, nature comes in ugly shapes too and we've had our share of monitor lizards, salamanders, and we even found a live snake on the doorstep once.

Here's a picture of home sweet home


My rival with lizards came to its peak last night. I went to bed early at about 10 p.m. because I was exhausted and awoke at 3 a.m. because...

Something bit me. It bit the inside of my calf. I jerked awake and the thing scampered of, brushing it's furry, squirrel-like body against my leg.

I thought it was a squirrel but then again, it's teeth felt small against my leg and a squirrel would surely leave me bleeding. The feel of it's head and teeth against my leg made me sure it was a lizard but the furry feel of it's body made me think of a squirrel.

I told myself to calm down. It could just be a possum or a weasel or something cute and furry.

So I got up, turned the lights on and looked under my bed. Just as I did so, I heard a scuffle and saw this thing with a long lizard-like brown tail escape through the window. It hit me then that the fact that it could climb up the wall and out the window leaves me with just one image in my mind. And that long brown tail confirmed my suspicions.

I have been bitten by a relatively large, furry lizard.

I braved myself to close the window but as I reached for it, the curtain ruffled and I was god damned sure that it came back in so I grabbed my phone and pillow and ran to the other room which was empty.

I tried to sleep in the next room but it hasn't been used in a while and so was pretty dusty and kept me up sneezing so I spent the night on the living room couch.

I dreaded going back into my room this morning but I did because I promised my mom that I would clean up today and I did, all the while jumping at the slightest of sudden movements. I didn't find the furry bugger today and I will never ever open the windows in my room again, for fear of the boogey-lizard who will jump in at night and bite me.

This is my room. Feel free to rent it.


Because I feel really stuffy with the windows closed, I will be sleeping on the couch from now on, except on the night before my sister's wedding because Ezzura will be sleeping over then, so the boogey-lizard will want to taste her first because she's new meat.

No comments: